Monday, February 6, 2012

French Cooking for Cub Scouts

This upcoming weekend my son's Cub Scout troop will hold their annual Blue and Gold ceremony. As such, each unit has been assigned to cook something from a particular country. For us it's French.

Are French fries too obvious?
I studied the French language in high school. And I visited France as a young adult. But truthfully, the only food I remember from my trip is the wine. I think that may be a separate food group in France.

I told my husband that I could just buy croissants for the banquet. Both he and our son nixed that idea. "You have to cook something," they said.

So all morning I've been thinking about what to cook. And what came to my mind was the scene in Pulp Fiction where John Travolta and Samuel L. Jackson are discussing the little difference between Europe and America. Travolta tells Jackson the quarter pounder is called "Royale with cheese," because of the metric system. And the Big Mac is "Le Big Mac." And they put mayo on their French fries instead of ketchup. Could I serve "Royale with cheese" and fries with mayo?

I told my friend Winnie my plan. She put her hand on her hip, looked me square in the eyes and said, "All you need to do is buy frozen crepes and stuff them with chicken or crab." She obviously didn't like my plan and I don't think a room full of elementary school boys are going to dig into crab stuffed crepes. Besides, a pound of fresh lump crab is $15.

So then I Googled for help. Recipes for rabbit in mustard sauce; Parmesan, goat cheese and spinach flans, and blue cheese, walnuts and bresala roll-ups, appeared. Again, I don't think Cub Scouts would buy into any of this. Then I looked at "Mastering the Art of French Cooking," from legendary Julia Child. I love Julia. I loved the movie Julie and Julia. But neither have cooked for a pack of hungry Cub Scouts many of whom carry pocket knives.

Finally I came across a recipe for chicken cordon bleu casserole from food.com. Looks easy. It got good reviews. Basic ingredients. I think we've got a winner! 

So this Saturday, as others are enjoying a day at the movies or walking in the park, I will be cooking for about 40 boys and their parents. God help us all.

Wondering if I should bring some Royales with cheese just in case?

The Wondering Texan















No comments:

Post a Comment