Friday, February 24, 2012

A New Use for Mardi Gras Beads

If you're in an area with some type of Mardi Gras celebration, then you're probably like us with about 10 pounds of beads laying around the house.

The beads are kind of like Halloween candy to kids. You know, the kids get a ton, play with them for a day, then you have them laying around the house for weeks afterward. And if you're like me, you slowly pitch a handful away behind the kids' backs until, surprise!, none are left.

So, I've come up with two solutions to get rid of them. At first I took some to my water aerobics class, threw them into the pool and challenged the ladies to swim for them. The lady who collected the most was "crowned" our Pool Queen.

This was where the beads started.
But the really fun idea was last night. At 8:30 p.m., I took probably about five pounds of the beads, went up to the kids and asked them if they wanted to help me "teepee" our neighbors trees with the beads. Our neighbors, Les and Judy, call us their kids because they don't have kids of their own. So, it's only appropriate that we act like kids.

My daughter and I walked across the street under the cover of darkness to act out our plan. The only stipulation was not throwing the beads up in the trees. Instead, place the beads on branches which in our case covers branches not higher than 5'6" tall.

And this is where some ended up.
We had a great time and I thought that years from now when my daughter is trying to get me to put my dentures in, she will remember some of the fun, crazy things we did together.

Well, this morning at 7:45 a.m., Judy called."You guys are crazy! We love our little Mardi Gras trees," she said. I tried to act confused and surprised but couldn't keep the game going. "That's the sweetest thing anyone has done for us!" Judy gushed.

The day is almost half done and the beads are still hanging proudly from their trees. Judy and Les have taken pictures, put a few strands around their cats' necks, and enjoyed the attention the beads have garnered from other neighbors.

So, my goal has been achieved. The beads have found new homes and brought smiles to two wonderful people. Although the cats don't look particularly happy.

Wondering if I should save the few remaining beads left to stuff in a pinata for Easter?

The Wondering Texan




No comments:

Post a Comment