Thursday, June 2, 2011

Passing Time in a Man's Domain

Some of the elk on display
Over the weekend, we had to get our family out of the house for three hours so our buyers could have their home inspections. Well, my husband and son thought it would be great to whittle the hours away at Cabela's, the mecca of hunting/fishing/boating, and all things sporty.

Do you know how many types of deer there are? I don't either, but I guarantee you they are all stuffed and on display within the store. I've dashed in the store before to buy gift certificates, but this was the first time I've actually looked around. I soon became separated from my family and had to go on a search and find mission. I first tried the gun section. I was the only woman there with guys in camo. Nope, they weren't there. Shocking I know. Then I tried the boats section. A lone salesman asked if I needed help. "Yes," I said. "I don't need a boat, but I need my husband." He couldn't help.

Then it dawned on me. I was alone. No one was whining to me about anything. No one was pulling on me. No one was asking me if I had gum or mints or money. Peace. I love Cabela's!!!

USPS mail catcher
So, I wandered up to the "Home and Cabin" section. If I were buying a mountain home, this would be a good start in decorating it. Anyone need a big mouth bass mailbox? Then, I found the candy section. Yummy, fudge. And then I saw the candles. I love candles. I discovered a new Yankee Candle scent called Pink Sands just perfect for our new Gulf Coast home.

Finally, I called my husband and found my family in the fishing section. Our 12-year-old daughter said, "Mom, PLEASE can we go?" My husband said, "Look at this! I'm going to buy it." He was holding up a large machete that said "Gator Machete" on it. Our conversation went something like this:

Me: "Why?"
Him: "Because I don't have one."
Me: "Are you planning on hacking gators?"
Him: "Cool, I could."
Me: "It looks dangerous. We have children. You had better safeguard it."
Him: "I'll keep it in my car."
Me: "That's not what I had in mind."

Pretty toes for summer
Finally, exasperated, I looked at our daughter and asked if she wanted to get a pedicure at which she squealed with joy. "I want zebra print nails," she said.

As we left, I told the greeter guys up front that Cabela's really needs a mani/pedi section for all mothers/wives/daughters dragged there. Keeping nails pretty during the summer months is a sport too.

Still wondering how many types of deer there are.

The Wondering Texan

No comments:

Post a Comment