Wednesday, June 29, 2011

How Can I Be a Yankee?

Week Two on the coast, and I'm learning a lot. But first, my really big news. I got back the test results from my oncologist and all is clear. In fact, she said, "your blood work is the best ever." So, my husband and I toasted to the great news. Now, I have to find another oncologist nearby and hopefully he/she will be as compassionate and awesome as my original one.

Now, let me detail my most recent lessons. First, I've been warned about snowbirds. As Nydia from the nail salon told me, "they come down here beginning around September. My husband calls them "the 'M' states." Oh, the "M" states, I said. Nydia looked at me and then said, "Montana, Michigan, Massachusetts..." I know the "M" states, I said. I passed geography and U.S. history. "They come down here in their big RV's," she said. Check, I will be alert for RV's from the "M" states.

Then yesterday, the worst lesson came. The Internet repair guy was over and when I told him we are from Dallas/Fort Worth he said, "I wouldn't tell people that around here." So, I just had to ask, "why?"

"Because you're a Yankee," he said.

Jump back Jack! "I'm not a Yankee. I'm a native Texan," I corrected him.

"Don't matter," he said. "You're from north of Austin."

Well, if that doesn't crumble my brown bread! If he wasn't bigger than me and wearing steel-toed boots, I might have argued with him the point. But really, how can a Native Texan be a Yankee?

I mean, I know a Yankee. He's my father. AND, he's from an "M" state (Massachusetts). So, I guess, I'm guilty by association.

I'd better give Dad this insight when he visits.

Wondering if he could admit that, yes, he's from an "M" state -- Mississippi.

The Wondering Texan

No comments:

Post a Comment