Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Unearthing Memories

Our life in boxes
Well, we're finally moving! Over the weekend, my husband and I had a great time cleaning out files and drawers unearthing old photos, cards and letters jammed among the old pay stubs, receipts and other miscellaneous papers. I found a card he sent me when we found out I was pregnant with our first child. He found an old apology letter from me after our first real argument as newlyweds. I carefully gathered the cards from my mother's passing and after my cancer diagnosis to take to our new home. As long as I live, I will never let those words of comfort from friends leave my possession.

So, at 7:30 a.m., yesterday, the movers appeared with boxes and tape in hand. And unfortunately for them, they are from Wisconsin and we're Texas natives and TCU alumni. After running errands yesterday, I was greeted by the movers with, "She's back!" Then the lead mover joked, "You can't leave again. Your husband gets mean when you're not around."  I laughed and said, "Really? I usually have the opposite effect on him."

As most people know, in Texas football is king. No sport comes close except for maybe barbecuing, which is also taken seriously. Apparently, my husband has been rubbing in TCU's victory over Wisconsin in last November's Rose Bowl. Apparently, it was getting brutal.

So, at 7:30 a.m., today, the movers dutifully appeared at our door. And promptly, my husband turned on the recorded Rose Bowl game on our flat screen TV.  My husband shows no mercy.

In addition to having to succumb to my husband's ribbing, it's suppose to be 100 degrees today. Summer is in full swing in Texas. 

Well, that's it for now. I've got to get back to refereeing.

Wondering if men ever outgrow boyish antics.

The Wondering Texan

No comments:

Post a Comment