Friday, April 13, 2012

Love is in the air in a small town

Today I'm wondering if I can withstand the teenage years. You see, my daughter is 13 and has a crush. No, it's not Justin Bieber or one of the Big Time Rush boys. Oh, how I wish it were.

Dillon from all outward signs appears normal, respectful, intelligent and funny. He has only two faults -- he's a boy and he's a teenager.

But living in a small town poses hazards for any young person. First, chances are you will know the family. Secondly, chances are you socialize with the family either personally or through one of the many community events.Thirdly, if you don't know the family, someone you know knows. It's the Bermuda Triangle of dating in a small town. Except our daughter isn't allowed to date for a few more years. So, I should more accurately say, crushing in a small town.

In my daughter's case, Dillon is the son of my son's baseball coach. And since she has observed this, she is more than willing to go to 10-year-old baseball games and practices.

But what really got me laughing was the conversation today between my kids in the car on the way to school. It went like this:

Son: Did I tell you Dillon told me to tell you "Hi" last night and that he likes you?

Daughter: He did? What did he say?

Son: Hi and he likes you.

Daughter: How did he say it?

Son: What?

Daughter: Did he say, 'Hi or did he say 'HI!'

Son: I don't know. Why can't you just accept it?

Daughter: That's it?

Son: Well, I think he was tired. He kept getting hit by balls.

Me: Was he being intentionally hit by balls or accidentally?

Son: Both.

Daughter: Well, tell him 'Hi' from me the next time you see him.

I just had to start laughing at the humor in this situation. To trust a 10-year-old brother to communicate with the 13-year-old boy is just doomed for massive failure.

It also made me remember all of the late nights talking and analyzing with my girlfriends over the boys we dated. Remember "What do you think he meant by that?" "Why hasn't he called?" "When he said this, do you really think he meant this instead?"

Boy, has my daughter got a long road ahead of her! May the force be with her.

Wondering if my husband can handle all of these boys?


The Wondering Texan



No comments:

Post a Comment