Friday, April 27, 2012

One City Kid and One Farm Equals New Adventure

Can the farm survive this silly kid?
This weekend is a big weekend for my son. He has been invited to spend the weekend at a friend's farm in a nearby small town. He couldn't be more thrilled.

A few days ago while I was bringing him home from school he turned to me and said, "oh mom, I hope I get to lift some hay. You know, to build these muscles up," while pushing up his bicep on his skinny arm no thicker than a willow branch.

So I called Tracey, the other mother, and relayed this message. "I hope you put him to work," I told her. "He's your little slave laborer for the weekend."

"Oh no, I guess we will have to let some cows out for them to round up," she laughed.

Then, their son told us, "pack a fishing pole because we have a catfish pond."

With this information, my son might not ever come back.


And in typical 10-year-old boy fashion, his packing requisites are a little humorous. He handed me his packing list written in green ink:
* Lego's
* DVD's
* Fishing pole
*Nerf gun and swords
*Cap

Oh, and he added "clothes, blanket, and pillow." I added the toothbrush, socks, swim trunks, pajamas, antibacterial gel, mosquito spray, and underwear.

So, he's off until Sunday. Now the scary part begins. My husband is off at a golf tournament part of the weekend and I overheard my daughter telling her friend, "Hey, my brother and dad are gone this weekend. It's just us girls." And they started to giggle.

I wonder if it's too late for me to go to the farm. Wondering how much hay I'll have to lift to earn my keep?


The Wondering Texan


No comments:

Post a Comment