Thursday, September 8, 2011

Is Anything Worse Than a Boring Haircut?

The haircut I want.
Yesterday, I got my hair cut for the third time and colored for the second time in over a year. Since I've been trying to grow my hair after chemo, it's safe to say that I'm more nervous than a football coach watching his star quarterback roller blade down the hills of San Francisco.

The hairdresser was referred by someone in my community who wrote in a newsletter;, "it's the best haircut I've ever received...and I'm 73." Well, that should have been a clue.

So I went to Jack who looked to be about 60 years old, has grandchildren, and kind of a comb-over in the back.

As he fingered through my hair he asked, "Is your hair always this curly?" And then the final nail, "What color is your hair naturally?"

Well, I couldn't take it anymore and decided to tell him my sad little story. The guilt factor still works in my favor although I know I'm on borrowed time.

After a while we decided on a rich brown color with carmel highlights. I love the color. The cut is a different story. He blew the cut out and puffed it out so that I looked like Laura Bush. He told me it's a "foundation" haircut.

The haircut I got.
That night, my husband came home and exclaimed, "What did you do? I liked it longer."

"I know," I told him. "I look like Laura Bush."

The next day I went to water aerobics and the ladies noticed the cut. "I know, I look like Laura Bush," I giggled. They looked at me and asked, "What's wrong with that? We love Laura."

I like Laura too. I even once heard her speak when she was the governor's wife. But I don't want to look like her at age 47. She didn't even look like this at 47. I want to look like Dharma in the old '90s show Dharma and Greg. Remember that show? Jenna Elfman plays a child of hippies who has the cutest haircut and is married to a Republican. I want her hair in a warm shade of brown.

Maybe Jack got confused. Maybe he got Jenna confused with Laura. Maybe next time I'm in Dallas I can shock a posh restaurant hostess and say, "I'd like a table please. My name is Laura."

Wow, this actually might work to my advantage.

Wondering if Jack really knows what he has created?

The Wondering Texan

 









No comments:

Post a Comment