Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Homecoming - Small Town Style

The social butterfly and her friend Lisa.
Last Friday night, my family and I went to the Pirates football game which was also their homecoming. It was a thrill for all of us. Our daughter, sporting a huge mum with bells and ribbons, stayed with us for exactly 10 minutes. Then she ditched us.

So, taking cues from our social butterfly, I told my husband, "I'm going to look for Mimi." He wasn't too against it because Mimi's husband is a fishing guide. So, my husband was totally supportive of me finding Mimi and her husband George.

Mimi and I found each other, and typical of most married couples, we women talked entirely through the first half until their son came on the field playing the drums. The guys sat there bleacher coaching. As my husband likes to say, this is why we are a perfect couple. I do all of our socializing and he can stand in a corner and drink beer. Our son also ditched us, preferring to be close to the railing in hopes of catching a Pirate t-shirt and ball shot through an airgun.

Getting ready to storm the field
At the concession stand, Mimi introduced me to another friend of hers. I can't remember his name, but I do remember he asked, "Do you and your husband drink?" I joked with him, "Yes, but you should ask 'How much?"

Me pirates won 33 - 7. Ahoy!
This comment brings me to the difference of generations. Last weekend, my dad and step mom visited. I told them that for my generation, people always ask about drinking. They agreed and think it's funny. Then on Saturday as my husband was playing golf, I accepted a dinner invitation for that night from a neighbor who is almost two generations ahead of us.  As I told our neighbor Judy the "Do you drink" comment, she and her husband said, "Yeah, your generation is funny about that. For your generation, everything is about moderation." My husband and I just looked at each other, blinked, and then accepted our mojitos. The next morning, I was dragging. It's really sad when people almost 20 years older party harder than you.

Wondering if the younger generations think us 40-somethings are drags too?

The Wondering Texan







No comments:

Post a Comment