Monday, September 19, 2011

Hummingbirds Creating a Buzz Down Here

Currently, my little town is humming as thousands of hummingbirds flutter through making their way to Mexico and Central America for the winter.

Pretty as a picture
Hummingbirds are big business down here in South Texas. And I have to admit, they're a lot cuter than a red fish or seagull, so it's easy to see the charm. Most coming through here are the Ruby-Throated hummingbird.

They weigh about 3 grams
All through town people have put up hummingbird feeders. We have five in our yard filled with sugar water.  And last weekend, the town hosted the annual Hummer Celebration. Buses of folks made their way down streets looking at the tiny birds, listening to lectures and learning how to photograph the rapid movers.

After watching these birds for the last couple of weeks, three things I have observed.

1) They are really mean to each other
2) They are very territorial
3) They drink as much sugar water as Southerners drink sweet tea

Beyond that, I'll have to recite for you some data from The Hummer/Bird Study Group Inc. in Alabama. Some basic facts are:
Tail length and fluffiness tell if it's a young bird

Length  - 3.5 inches
Weight - 3.1 - 3.4 grams (28 grams = 1oz.)
Body temp - 105 - 108 degrees
Flight speed - About 30 mph normal speed and 50 mph escape speed

Measuring the beak. They cover the bird with pantyhose.
So, all of this has been fun to watch. But Saturday, we got a rare opportunity. We held a hummingbird in our hands. As I was walking outside to retrieve the paper, I noticed one on the sidewalk just lying there. "Oh, there's a dead hummer," I told a passing neighbor. She informed me that a block over the avian group is banding and recording hummers. As I turned around, I noticed the fallen hummer slightly moving, lifting his tiny head and a wing outstretched. OMG, it's alive! So I rustled up my husband to come help. We were on a rescue mission. We took the little tyke to the banding station in hopes they could help. Turns out, hummers stun themselves pretty frequently by hitting windows and walls. After a few minutes and some sugar water, it was ready to move and flew up into the air.

We watched as they banded the little legs, recorded weight, beak length, gender, and wing span. We also learned how they are caught. It's pretty simple actually. They use cages similar to squirrel cages with a feeder placed inside. Then a fishing line is attached to the door. When a hummer flies in, someone pulls the line snapping the door shut. We asked if they pair up, and no, they don't. In fact, male hummingbirds are pretty worthless in terms of the family unit. They only fertilize eggs, then off to the next adventure. The females care for the eggs and babies, build nests, and basically, take care of all domestic duties.

I got to hold a few in the palm of my hand. And although I would have never put "hold a hummingbird" on my "Bucket List," I'm so glad I got the chance to experience it. They don't peck, scratch or urinate on the hand like a lot of animals.

Next year's Hummingbird Celebration will be Sept. 13 - 16.  You've gotta check it out.

Wondering how many types of hummers there are? I've got to Google that.

The Wondering Texan











No comments:

Post a Comment