Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Charlie Brown Look At These Pumpkins

Keeping the stem area dry will protect the pumpkin.
It's almost October and thus begins my favorite season. I love just about everything about fall. The cooler weather, Halloween, football games, festivals, and of course, pumpkins. My husband gently scolds me each year for my collection of pumpkins. Each time I bring another one home to put on my porch, my husband says, "another one?" But he knows it's useless to argue. Some people collect cats. Some collect shot glasses. I collect pumpkins to decorate my yard and home from October through Thanksgiving.

Big, but not the biggest.
Today I journeyed to the local farmers market named Jimmy Woods. It's right off of the main drag in Rockport, Texas, and features everything locally grown including honey, birdseed, pickled okra, onions, watermelon, and of course, pumpkins. Huge pumpkins. I was giddy.

This is where I met Rudy. As Rudy and I talked pumpkins, I learned two things. Rudy knows pumpkins and he's a prankster. Rudy has worked at Jimmy Woods for 25 of the 32 years the market has been open. As I walked among the ghost, orange and heirloom pumpkins Rudy said, "Be careful. Snakes like to slither between the pumpkins." I jumped back and Rudy busted out laughing. He slapped my shoulder saying "just kidding." I told him, "oh sure. Just pick on the city slicker."

Rudy said that the market just sold its largest pumpkin, topping 175 pounds, to a man in Corpus Christi for his home.

Jimmy Wood's pumpkins come from a farm near Lubbock, Texas, where market employees go to select the largest, healthiest pumpkins for each year.

Rudy the prankster.
When I asked Rudy if it's too early for pumpkins fearing they would rot before Halloween, he gave me this tip. "As long as you keep them dry, they will be fine. If it rains, wipe the water off of the pumpkin, especially around the stem area. Always keep the stem area dry."

So, I bought my first pumpkin of the season today and put it by my front door. This year, I'm going to pace myself buying pumpkins. But, just as I was thinking that, Rudy told me they get new produce in every Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

Wondering if I can give some of my pumpkins a coastal spin? Perhaps put shells in for ears and use coral for hair? I'll let you know how it turns out.

The Wondering Texan



I love all pumpkin varieties.

No comments:

Post a Comment