Friday, September 23, 2011

Sixteen Years and Counting

Sixteen years ago today, my husband and I married. And much to my mother's horror, we didn't get married in a church. Instead, we opted to marry in a home built of stone sitting on a few tree-dotted acres facing a large lake. It was very quaint with about 140 of our friends and family in attendance.

We met on a blind date and married almost exactly 10 months later. This fact has stunned some of our friends.

"You're kidding," a friend of mine recently said as we walked through a park. "I would never allow my children to do that."

But, we were older, I told her. Both of us just entering our thirties and having weathered more than a fair share of lame dates. "Still, that's not enough time to know someone," she said stopping our walk. "Ya'll were running on hormones."

Maybe so, but the proof is in the pudding. We're still here while some of our friends have entered second marriages. Looking back at our history, I can't imagine starting anew. First, men are just too hard to train. Secondly, we have spent most of our adult lives together and have built some great memories. We've eaten lobster on Martha's Vineyard; snow skied in Colorado; created two children; bought and sold homes; almost got stuck in snow trying to drive up on a spring day Washington's Mount St. Helen's, and tried to canoe down the Guadalupe River in the Texas Hill Country. We've had some good laughs and some good cries. And with the exception of a few things, I wouldn't change much about him.

So, here's to my husband who still makes me laugh after 16 years.

P.S.
I've got to tell you a quote from him. Last night he told our son, "I'm giving you advice, you don't need to respond." I love that quote!

Wondering if I can use that quote on hubby the next time I give him advice?

The Wondering Texan







No comments:

Post a Comment