Friday, July 1, 2011

Writing the Day Away

Well, this morning I got up and asked my husband, "what I'm I going to do with the kids today?" We don't really know anyone here. Have already been to the beach this week and the community pool. Have toured the maritime museum and a few of the art galleries. Hum.

And then my husband came up with a brilliant idea, I think. "Why don't you take them to buy postcards to write to all of their friends?"

Shucks, I should have thought of that one. I am a trained writer and majored in journalism in college. Darn it, I always miss the easy ones.

Scary, my kids could be doing this in a few years.
So, I loaded them up in the car and we went to the general store in town. I let them pick out their postcards and even new pens for the project. And well, the results are probably what I should have expected. My daughter, Miss Type A, is on her third postcard. My son is still watching Sponge Bob Square Pants.

But, I remember my mom sitting at the breakfast room table writing long letters to my grandmothers and her friends. My mom had beautiful penmanship. I never mastered letter writing or penmanship.

A postcard of Mustang Island
It's kind of nice this tie to the past. Hopefully my kids will enjoy this little Friday afternoon project. And I'm sure the recipients will smile at a real, handwritten postcard in their mailbox.

Wondering when was the last time you received a handwritten letter/postcard? For me, I can't remember.

The Wondering Texan








No comments:

Post a Comment