Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Tips for Staying (Hopefully) Cancer-Free

Last weekend, one of my best college friends emailed me asking for a favor. "Would you mind sending me some diet tips that your oncologist might have passed on to you? I've got to get on the right track with my weight and nutrition.  It will benefit all of us, actually," she wrote.


Well, unfortunately, or maybe it's fortunately, the advice the oncologist and dietitian gave me isn't anything that most people haven't been hearing for the last decade. But the oncologist did say this, "In the last 13 years of my practice, I'm seeing younger and younger patients. I believe it has to be something we're exposing our bodies to."

My oncologist firmly believes in eating only organic and non-processed foods. When I tell people this, the first reaction I hear is, 'but organic food is sooo expensive." Well, I'll tell you cancer is more expensive. 


So, my family and I have pretty much gone the natural and/or organic track, especially with meats and dairy. My kids haven't noticed the change to whole wheat and unbleached flour or sugar. But I'm not completely cutting my kids off from their cookies and gummy bears. And I'm not married to a doctor. So, I have to live in reality.


So, here's what I told my friend Susan and what the good doctors told me. They are not really diet tips as they are healthy lifestyle tips.


1) Eat organic or natural products. No preservatives.
2) Eat whole grain breads and other carbs.
3) No processed foods. (I have not been super good about this one)
4) Limit alcohol intake.
5) Try to eat as much fresh produce as possible. If not seasonally available, eat frozen vegetables. Canned vegetables have little nutrition. Eat lots of broccoli. It's the "super" vegetable, according to the dietitian.
6) Eat lots of dairy to keep bones strong. And here's a bonus, organic milk doesn't go bad as quickly!
7) Keep portion sizes small. About the size of your fist.

8) And, no smoking. 


In the Dallas/Fort Worth area, there are lots of grocery stores that offer a wide selection of organic and natural foods. Some I visited have been Central Market, Sprouts and Tom Thumb. Also, Costco has a nice selection of organic/natural frozen foods. Here along the coast, I don't have easy access to a Central Market or Sprouts. But, there's a local meat market here and I asked the owner where he gets the beef and if there are preservatives. He crinkled up his nose and said, "Oh no. It comes from local ranches." 


So, if you're not sure about the food, ask. Read the ingredients listed. And try to make the best decision possible for you and your family.


Wondering if we can really afford not to be picky eaters?


The Wondering Texan

1 comment:

  1. Hey Denise!
    Abigail here!
    So glad we have met you! Your blog is amazing! I love reading it! Mom and I think you should write a book! I could probably read it in a day! You are a fantastic writer!
    Hope you have a great day!
    ~Abigail
    PS: We miss Starbucks too - but omg have you been to The Daily Grind? That place is coffee! and buy 4 coffees - your 5th is FREE! Woohoo!
    Gotta love our small town!

    ReplyDelete