Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Celebrating Independence Day Coastal Style

Hey there, I hope everyone had a terrific and safe July 4th.

My family enjoyed our first coastal July 4th celebration aboard a 30-foot sailboat and we greased ourselves down with SPF 55 or higher. My husband, who doesn't think he needs sunscreen, refused my attempts and not surprisingly, has a nice pink face this morning. I love saying, "I told you so."
My hubby and daughter

Our glamorous hosts
One of the things I enjoy most about July 4th is the creativity people have in celebrating. During the boat parade I saw a woman decked out as a Statue of Library and a man in costume as Uncle Sam. July 4th gives people license to be zany.

But I also loved looking at the boats and reading their names. The names are like a window into the owner's personality. Boat names I saw included "10 Cent Yo-Yo," "Line Item," and "Double Trouble."  There was also a converted shrimp boat named "Shrimp Cocktail." But my favorite boat name, which someone else knows of and owned by a woman is named "Does This Make My Butt Look Big?" Classic.

Love the TCU flag!
Towards the end of the day, one of the other guests looked down in the boat galley and asked my son, "what are you doing down there?" My heart stopped because when you ask a 10-year-old boy that question you have no idea what will be said. My son remarked, "pulling my tooth out." Whew, it could have been a lot worse.

Anyway, after a day of kayaking, paddle boarding, swimming and eating, we rolled back into our temporary home at midnight. I think today will be spent quietly on the couch.

The lab looks comfortable
Wondering if I should be a nice wife and get my husband some aloe vera? Nah.












The end of the day
A perfect Texas sunset on the bay

No comments:

Post a Comment