Thursday, July 28, 2011

A Week of Firsts

Well, I'm back to writing after being absent for a couple of days. It's been a busy couple of days closing on our new house, moving out of our temporary house, packing the kids off to Camp Grandma's, and of course, moving into our new house. But it hasn't been without hitches.

His first black eye thanks to the dog.
First, you know those "what to expect" books? "What to Expect When You're Expecting," and "What to Expect the First Year," etc. Common sense tells you to expect and anticipate a child's first full night of sleep, first word, first steps, first day of school. But no one talks about the first black eye. At age 10, my son got his first black eye and his father couldn't be prouder. No, it wasn't caused by a fight with another boy or even by his sister. Our German short haired pointer bopped him as he was wrestling the dog. Still, for about three nights in a row, my husband would come home, inspect the eye and tell our little one, "you look tough. All you need is a tattoo." I almost bopped my husband.

Then, for the first time, I "lost" my driver's license. Usually, I wouldn't panic about this but my husband asked, "ah, how are we going to close on the house?" Dang it. But after five hours of searching, I found it in my beach bag. And sure enough when we closed, it was the first document the title company lady asked for.

And now, for the first time, I'm in a battle with Bambi. Last weekend I bought new flowers for my front yard pots including some beautiful, double bloom hibiscus. My neighbor came over laughing at me. "The deer are going to love that," she said. But I remained defiant. "Well, then I'll just shoot them," I grinned. But, yesterday morning I awoke to the awful sight of a chomped off hibiscus. Damn deer. So, last night, my dear, sweet husband volunteered to relocate the surviving flowers. He pulled them up from their tops, leaving tell-tale gaping holes in the pots and a trail of dirt running across the patio and into the back yard. I don't know which is worse. The deer or my dear.

But the week isn't over yet and I've got to get ready for my first tropical storm. "Don" will be rolling into town late Friday night. Should I buy water? Should we put up the hurricane shutters? Should I try to get my car into the garage amid dozens of boxes?

Wondering if Don could blow the deer to the north and away from my house.

 The Wondering Texan











No comments:

Post a Comment