Thursday, March 31, 2011

Wondering about the new "girls"

Today, I met my bosom buddy Sara, and our new bosom buddy Laura, for lunch. Sara and I went through radiation together and she just got her new "girls" last week. Laura is currently undergoing chemo and has surgery following her treatment.

Anyway, Sara was telling us about how her surgery went and what the girls feel like. She said she has to massage them three times a day for about 2-3 minutes each for two months to prevent movement or hardening. The plastic surgeon showed Sara the correct massage technique. As she said, "it was weird to have another man massage my chest." I told her the massages sound like a great job for her husband to master. Although she doesn't have her tattoos yet, she said they look real, but over the next few months they will move down a little to a more natural location.

I know they will look great once all is done which is the reason I can't wait for my new girls. Last summer when I was visiting my radiologist, Nurse D stepped in and said to me, "I know how you feel. Thirteen years ago I had breast cancer and had a double mastectomy." They gave her only a 15 percent chance survival rate. "They told me to prepare my children," she said. Well, goes to show medical science doesn't know everything. Then Nurse D asked if I wanted to see them. I couldn't believe it. For a second, I debated but then got curious. "Sure," I said. Without hesitation, Nurse D pulled up her top and whipped the girls out. They looked so real. Then, Nurse D asked, "Do you want to feel them?" Again, I paused, thought, and then said, "Please." I got a pretty good grip and exclaimed, "Oh my God, they feel real." Nurse D smiled and said she hopes it helps me. I started to cry.

When I got home that evening, I told my husband whose first reaction was "Damn, why did I miss that appointment?"  Then, he asked, "Well, what did they feel and look like?"  I looked at him and answered, "well, I didn't man-handle them but yes, they looked and felt real." Then he said, "Wow, and that was more than a decade ago, think of the improvements they've made since then."

So, now I'm wondering, am I a B- or C-cup girl?

The Wondering Texan

No comments:

Post a Comment