Thursday, May 5, 2011

Living the Vida Loca

OK, my husband said something really upsetting to me the other day. He told me that "you always do the right thing." When I asked him what that meant, he said, "well, people can always count on you. You always get things done. You are always responsible."



Not me. But pretty funny.
Ouch!!!! I don't want to be responsible or dependable or, at times, even likable anymore.That was the former me. Now, I want to be careless, reckless and never predictable. I want...I want a red corvette. Preferably a convertible. I told him this several months ago and he raised an eyebrow and said, "what? I never knew this about you." It's true. It's a secret I've held for at least two decades. So, as soon as we can, I'm getting a corvette. Why not? We can finally afford the insurance.

Then I told him, "you know what you need?" He looked at me fearful. "You need a big F150 truck." He almost started to stutter. "You had a truck when we married," I said. "Yes, a Toyota. You hated that truck." I hated it because it was a standard. When we were newlyweds, I tried to move it out of the driveway early one morning without waking him. It stalled in the middle of our street and wouldn't budge. So, I had no choice but to wake him to move his truck. He put on clothes, went to the driveway, then looked down the street where it was sitting. "What? How in the hell did my truck get in the middle of the street?"he asked.

So, after I told him of his need for a F150, he said, "I have a Toyota FJ Cruiser. You don't like it. You say it drives like a truck."

OK, maybe the truck wasn't the best idea. But I have many more. I don't know if it's coming in contact with a serious illness or middle-age craziness, or perhaps it's a combo deal, but I know I don't want to be the old dependable me.

I asked my survivor buddy Sara today if she's feeling the same way. She confirmed she is, but not as zany. We just don't give a rat anymore.

So, I don't care anymore how crazy the idea. The other night I told my husband that before we leave our golf course home, we should run naked in the middle of the night down the course. Today I told him, "do you know how many husbands would love to be presented with these opportunities!" He just laughed.

Wondering, if it's fun and doesn't harm anyone, why not?

The Wondering Texan

No comments:

Post a Comment