Friday, May 20, 2011

Little Man Turns 10

My youngest is turning 10 this Sunday. It's hard to believe!

As I have said before, boys are worlds apart from girls in attitude, physical activity and general hygiene. I've also learned that when a boy turns 10, it's a right of passage celebrated by other men. Or at least among our Texas friends. It started a few months ago when my husband and son started talking about guns at the dinner table. Our daughter and I looked at each other and wondered, "does this have to be discussed at the dinner table?!"

So, the big question has been what kind of gun to get him. My husband says he needs an "over and under" gun. Wyatt already has a Red Rider BB gun that he shoots squirrels in the backyard. I protested the BB gun saying he was going to shoot his eye out. But, I lost that battle. I know that eventually I'm going to lose this battle too.

When we went a couple of weeks ago to Abilene to visit friends, I was hoping to gain some support for my belief that he's too young. Well, all I can say is...don't go to West Texas and be around a bunch of hunters and cowboys and expect any kind of understanding. Instead of seeing my point of view, they started to talk bartering and trading guns, offering Wyatt one of theirs in exchange for some of my husbands, etc. I lost track of who was up a gun and who was down.

In all honesty, I knew this day would come. I just didn't think it would be 10 years later -- exactly. When he was born, one of my fondest memories is of him sleeping on my chest in the hospital room. It was quiet, and my husband and daughter had gone home. There were no visitors. It was a perfect slice of heaven until a nurse came in.

So, here we are a decade later. I went out today to Walmart to buy his present. No, it's not a gun. Since my husband was at work, I took total advantage of his busy schedule and bought safer options.

Wondering if my husband, his friends and all male members of our family will forget this gun business.

The Wondering Texan

No comments:

Post a Comment