Friday, October 21, 2011

The Differences Between the X and Y Chromosomes

Sweet aren't they? This was a rare moment.
Last night as we were settling down for the evening, our daughter went into her bedroom and started to straighten her hair. Mind you, this is at 9 p.m.

As my husband and I sat on the couch watching Arizona play against UCLA, our son came into the den and asked, "why is she straightening her hair?"

Before I could say anything, my husband answered, "Don't try to understand women. It's impossible."

Our son then said, "But doesn't she know that in the morning she's going to wake up with bed head?"

To which my husband answered, "I'm telling you, don't try to understand. I'm a lot older than you and I don't understand."

This whole time, I'm sitting on the couch invisible to them. But I understand. It's because she's 13. Thirteen-year-old girls spend an enormous amount of time fretting over their hair, clothes, who said what, and making friends. It's a difficult age for girls. I haven't met one woman who would want to be 13 again. Or even 17 again. Am I wrong?

And for as much as my son doesn't understand his sister, the same is true of her understanding him. A few months ago she came to me totally exasperated by him. "Mother, he's bugging me again. Why did you and Dad have to have him? Little brothers are such a pain!"

I looked at her, nodded and said, "Yes I know. They can be difficult."

She looked at me and said, "How would you know?"

Wait for it, this is the best part.

I looked at her and in my best Valley Girl voice said, "Duh, Uncle Carl." 

That got her. She couldn't help but smile and laugh a little. I did add that little brothers eventually grow up and become less annoying. Of course, she has a long way to go before this happens.

So, in the meantime, my children will continue to perplex, annoy and anger each other. And it will give my husband and me headaches and laughs.

Wondering when the defining moment will come that my children, although they may never fully understand each other, will understand that eventually they share a unique bond.

Quotable Quote:
We met some new neighbors Winnie and Warren. Winnie told me they used to run the family's ranch in Nebraska. I asked her where and she said, "Northwest of Nowhere."  She lasted five years there before, "I packed my dogs, jewelry and clothes and told him I'm moving back to Houston," she said. You can take the girl out of the city but not the city out of the girl.
















No comments:

Post a Comment