Monday, October 10, 2011

The Need for Energy

Our Bird of Paradise bloom
For some reason, I always look forward to weekends. Sleeping late, eating out, lounging on the couch. Oh wait, that was my life before kids. At least when the kids were tiny, I got nap time. Now, I get, "Mama, can we go NOW to the festival?" Or, "Mom, would you take Courtney and me to the movies?" And then there's my husband, "Sweetie, I forgot the hunting license. Can you drive out and meet me with it?"

I remember thinking when I was around 23 years old that I would never be one of those worn-out wives/mothers. I would be the cool mom, the cool wife. The one in slender jeans without a muffin top. Now I realize that to be cool takes more energy than I have.

Our weekend started with us going to see a friend's brother and sister-in-law sing at SeaFair. As the duo sang their country hearts out, I started to get sleepy. Around 10:30 p.m., we packed the kids up and went home to bed. I remember when I didn't go out BEFORE 10 p.m. Now, that's bedtime. Pathetic I know.

Our goofy son at the parade.
Then we had to be up early the next morning for our son to participate in the parade as a member of the Boy Scouts. Later in the day my husband and son went dove hunting only to learn our German Short-Haired pointer is scared of gunshot. Then our daughter had a friend spend the night, and we had neighbors over for dinner last night. At 9:30 p.m., my husband was sound asleep on the couch.

I don't know exactly when or how it happened, but we've turned into our parents. Actually, my Dad and stepmother seem to have way more energy and social life. But then again, they don't have two kids at home. Oh well, some day it will again be our turn to be out past 10 p.m. Until then, please don't call us after 9 p.m. since we will probably be asleep.

Wondering why no one tells you the 40s are so exhausting.

The Wondering Texan

P.S.
Our Bird of Paradise plant in the backyard bloomed over the weekend. We've never had one before and have no idea how to care for it. Another thing I've got to Google.

Quotable Quote:
I told my husband over the weekend how cute and macho he looked in his hunting outfit. He corrected me, "It's not an outfit. I don't wear outfits." Apparently, men wear jeans, shoes and shirts. Not outfits. Whatever. 







No comments:

Post a Comment