Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The Little Shop of Metal

All he needs is a captain's shoulder.
Today I ventured out to find pansies. No pansies in the stores yet, but on my way back I stopped in a quirky store facing I-35. You've probably seen similar stores dotting major highways with wood carvings, tin animals, cement alligators. Have you ever wondered who owns these? Do they ever sell anything?

Well, I had to find out. As I was walking through the maze of cement Dutch boys and metal pink flying pigs, a voice called out behind me, "be careful of my watch dog." I turned around and faced a pint-sized dachshund. True, he is a killer with those big Hershey Kisses eyes. "He came to work with me today because he's got tonsillitis and a double ear infection," the owner said.

Cute, but too big for my yard
"He's just like a kid," I laugh.

This is how I met Laura and her guard dog Barney. Laura opened Paradise Shells & Gifts back in April. She said it was her husband's "big idea" leaving her to implement it. He's a minister. She sells cement and metal animals on the eight acres they have owned for more than a decade. Laura buys and sells whatever catches her fancy. Iron animals from Mexico, cement figures she molds and paints herself, purses and assorted other merchandise she finds at markets.

I asked her if she has a marketing plan or a merchandise vision for her store. She laughs at me.

Poor Barney has a sore throat and infected ears
"I offer everyone a lot to look at and a heart healthy workout," she tells me. Summer is particularly tough with the humidity and triple-digit Texas temperatures. When I pointed out that she needs a window unit in the trailer, she said, "yes, but then nobody would go outside." Good point. Obviously, I would not be a good retailer.

So, what's the top seller I ask. Depending on the day, the multicolored metal fish are hot items, which she personally favors. The pink flamingos also get their share of rides home.

I never did find those pansies. But I did bring home a metal, white crane with a fish in its beak. Which answers my question if anyone buys these items. I've named him Walter where he has taken up residence in corner of our backyard.

Wondering how long it will take my husband to notice Walter. Want to place bets?

The Wondering Texan

Quotable Quote:
Today my son came home from school complaining about a kid who never stops talking. He said, "no matter what misery they dump on him, he keeps talking. And he never gets thirsty."












No comments:

Post a Comment