Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Throw Another Shrimp in the Pot

A shrimp boat in with the catch of the day
This weekend my husband and I will be hosting our first shrimp boil for about 22 people. In fact, it's our first party in our new home. We're a little nervous.

First of all, we've never held a shrimp boil before. Some of my new friends are being very kind in helping steer us. When I was at Hobby Lobby last weekend and about to purchase a plastic table cloth to dump the shrimp on, my neighbor told me to use newspaper instead. "It will soak up the juices and the shrimp won't slide off," Winnie said. Good to know.

Another neighbor told us to figure for a half pound per person. OK. Got it. But then she added, "But then heads take up about a third of the weight, so you need to factor that in." People will peel the shrimp, devein and pinch the heads off? Is that what you do at a shrimp boil? Pull heads off? Apparently, yes.

I've been told to buy the frozen small corn on the cob, serve mojitos, buy the shrimp from Dong on 11th St., buy the booze from the liquor store on the main drag, spray the yard with mosquito deterrent, and asked what kind of dessert am I serving. My head is swimming with details. Oh, and did I mention that my husband's boss is coming too?

The great news is that the weatherman is predicting a high of 71 degrees and a low of 56 on party night. Perfect for starting the fire pit.

So, here I am on Tuesday in countdown mode. And I still haven't a clue on what to serve for dessert. Maybe my grandmother's blueberry pie?

And with this swimming in my mind, I'm about to go teach water aerobics. I asked my husband to download some Halloweenish songs for our workouts. Late last night he started the task and I noticed very dark, Gothic music being played. Not wanting to discourage him I asked, "Is that what you're thinking of for the ladies?" Yes, he said. "Oh, that's interesting. But I was thinking more along the lines of the Monster Mash, the Munster's theme song, Witchy Woman, or Devil in the Blue Dress." Then I went to bed. It's a good thing he loves me.

Wondering if 13 lbs. of shrimp will do?

The Wondering Texan

Quotable Quote
Last night, after the Halloween song discussion, my husband came into our bedroom, turned on the light and then started to throw his dirty clothes on me. I rose up and asked, "Just what are you doing?" His response, "Messing with you. You're my favorite target."

Most normal husbands kiss their wives goodnight don't they?







No comments:

Post a Comment