Friday, March 23, 2012

A Glorious Coastal Morning to Ya'll

The Rookie, St. Martin, Sandia and Rain Bow are ready for captains.
Woke up this morning and it was a picture perfect sunrise. So I decided to try to shoot some photos after I dropped the kids off at school. This was a much better plan than what I had to do ... run to the grocery store.

Quickly I grabbed my camera and bird dog for a little jaunt down to the docks. As soon as I got to the shoreline, the sun disappeared behind a large, rolling wave of fog. The temperature dropped from 65 degrees Fahrenheit, things got hazy, and my dog saw a cat underneath a F150 truck pulling me into the tailgate. Apparently, I'm not built Ford tough. But I carried on and took these shots.

One of the things I like most about the coast are the sounds of seagulls, the crashing waves against piers and the smell of shrimp and fish.

Christie captures the scene for her new exhibit.
On my walk, I met a painter named Christie. "Where did the sun go?" she asked me. "I was painting and then all of the sudden, the light was gone." Christie is visiting from Dallas but has been coming to this little town since she was a small girl. Her maternal side of the family hails from this coastal town providing her painting inspiration. She's preparing some new paintings for a show at a local art gallery, she told me.

Further along my walk, a fisherman commented on my dog. "That's a really pretty dog," he said. "She looks like a really good hunting dog."

"Yes, it would appear so," I told him. "But she really only hunts for her bowl of food and a warm, soft bed to sleep in."

This is another thing I like about living on the coast. The people, whether visiting or living here, leave the real world of cubicles, Blackberry's and deadlines far behind.

Wondering if I can get some wildflower shots in the next few days. Although Texas had one of the worse droughts in a century, the bluebonnets are in full bloom covering the road shoulders in blue.

The Wondering Texan

A pile of oyster shells. 
Looking for a few good fish.
Weathered by the salt and sea air.

No comments:

Post a Comment