Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Dancing to Funky Cold Medina

Still smiling is good.
Several weeks ago I joined a water aerobics group at the local community pool in an effort to keep up my health.

At first, I think the ladies thought of me as a novelty. Or worse, as their daughter-in-law. I have been called Debbie, Diane or just plainly, "hey you." Last week I was even called "Fish bait."

Rhinestones on her hat and sunglasses don't outshine her personality.
But, yesterday, I walked in on a conversation in which I thought they were saying, "not many are doing it all. "It" being the full hour. However, with these ladies, "it" could have referred to just about anything.

I perked up. "I do," I said.

Turns out, they were really saying they don't know what they are going to do once our teacher relocates to Austin. Their response to me was, "Great, you're our new teacher!"

Say what? Me? Oh, that's funny!

Today when I showed up, I had completely forgotten about yesterday's conversation. Until one of them exclaimed, "Hey, our teacher is here!" 

So, we hit the water with our weights. We did crunches, cross country skiing , jumping jacks, and laps, all in the deep end.
Taking a break.

During the hour I was asked probably five times, "How old are you?"

Then, without notice, a few retreated back to the shallow end. So, I followed. They can't get rid of me that easily!

When the song "Funky Cold Medina" started playing, I couldn't help but shout, "OK ladies, freestyle dance! Come on, move your hips, shake that booty!"

I thought it was fun. But staring back at me were blank stares of disbelief. Then I got again, "how old are you?" But a few did start shaking their groove thangs. The lifeguards started laughing enjoying this impromptu Dancing with the Retirees segment.

So, we moved on to stretches. "Stretch out your left leg. Now, take it back behind your head," I said. Again, blank stares and shock. "I just had to see how many of you would try it," I laughed. Then, one of them pelted me on the back of my head with her noodle. "Vicky, that's not part of the exercise program," I said.

At the end of the hour, no one drowned, killed me or took a vote for another teacher. So I think it was a success.

Wondering if tomorrow I can get them to do the macarena?

The Wondering Texan









No comments:

Post a Comment