Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The Family Who Paints Together

School starts in five days on August 22. And we're in countdown mode at hyper speed trying to cram as much into this week as the guy on Man vs. Food crams into his stomach minus the indigestion.

Over the weekend, my college friend Susan and her family visited from Dallas. So, we dashed to Padre Island and other local hot spots. I'm quickly figuring out the "itinerary" for visitors this being our second set in two weeks.

Blue, green, yellow and peach for the table
Then today the kids and I embarked on a craft project. Those who know me best know I'm not crafty. I don't do scrapbooks or make cute hair barrettes from felt like my sisters-in-law, or sew baby clothes or knit a stitch like many of my friends. My hands rarely hold a hot glue gun. Martha exhausts me just watching her. But, this project requires me to use a power tool which is interesting.

Taping the border for our design
After seeing dozens of painted furniture pieces in stores around here, I've decided that with a little patience, paint and creativity, the kids and I should paint our old breakfast table and chairs. It's a win-win situation. Spending family time, thinking creatively, saving money and using of my husband's power sander.We're painting it in cool-toned coastal colors and stenciling some sea life on the table. Day One went really well and kept the kids occupied for three hours.

Let the painting begin!
Of course, my daughter and I had creative differences. I prefer a messier, carefree look. Little Miss Type A prefers a more perfected look. When I asked her if she painted over my imaginative table leg she said, "Oh, that was on purpose? I didn't know." I responded, "you didn't like it did you?" She smiled and asked, "how did you know I was lying?" Mothers know these things.

My husband came home and said, "Wow, it looks...good. Really good so far." He had doubts? Then he tried to be helpful by giving us advice. Wrong move. The kids and I just rolled our eyes at him.

So, I'm hoping to finish this by Sunday. I'll keep you posted on its progress.

Wondering if I should varnish or apply a wax when finished?

The Wondering Texan







No comments:

Post a Comment