Friday, August 19, 2011

My Own Marley Experience


This is Pepper's usual afternoon.
Yesterday, after the kids and I worked on painting our breakfast room table, I had the great idea to take our German Short Haired Pointer, Pepper, to the beach for a little exercise. A special little treat for her since she has been so good.

I should have known I was being set up by the dog.

My daughter and I loaded the dog into the car and off we went to the beach where there's a section for dog owners. It's not gated off or anything, but a big sign saying "NO DOGS BEYOND THIS POINT!" gets the message across very well.


At first we waded in the water with the waves lapping against our legs. The sun was high, but the cool water, sound of seagulls, and the crush of sand between our toes lulled us into a false sense of security. So, we decided to let Pepper off her leash to swim.
The escape artist

Within about a minute Pepper darted off down the beach chasing a heron and other birds. We screamed "come back Pepper." But Pepper was enjoying her freedom too much. She quickly raced past the ominous sign never even glancing back.

My daughter and I tried every tone and trick we could from sweet, "Pepper, let's get treat," to the growl "Pepper, BAD DOG. GET BACK HERE!"

But, she continued her marathon running up to people sitting in their chairs, jumping over some boys burying their friend in the sand, and snooping around picnic baskets for food. I even got in the car and my daughter ran down the beach hoping the old "Come on Pepper, let's go for a ride," trick would work. But nothing did.

Then my daughter started to panic and begin balling. "We're never going to get her back!" she wailed. "Pepperrr is gone forever!"  Sniff, sniff.


"No, she's going to be fine. We're going to get her," I huffed to my daughter. While I was trying to comfort her, I kept thinking of that scene in Marley and Me when the dog races down the beach and poops causing the cops to give the owner a ticket. Well, I didn't get any ticket, but I got plenty of dirty looks especially from parents of young children. I just kept saying, "Sorry, sorry."


Finally, we got Pepper and gave her a good scolding. As her punishment, we put her in the kennel for a while. Then she got a bath. 

Wondering when it will be safe again for me to show up at the beach.

The Wondering Texan

No comments:

Post a Comment