Monday, August 22, 2011

What to Do? What to Do?

Today my kids started back to school. While I appreciate the quietness of our house, it leaves me wondering "what to do?"
My friend Andrea and her family at Dallas Arboretum

My daughter's silly friends back in DFW
Since I've moved down here, I've been asked by people, "What do you do?" And for the first time in my adult life, I don't have a definitive answer. Sometimes, I feel like I have to justify myself and I usually say, "Well, I'm a freelance writer and a stay-at-home mom." Usually the response is "Oh, have you ever been published?" My husband usually laughs at this response.

So, I go on to explain. "Yes. I started out as a newspaper reporter, then a business journal reporter, then a public relations communicator, and now, I write some articles for a magazine."

Which usually prompts the next question. "What do you write about now?"

"Trains," I say.

Then, I can pretty hear the crickets chirp. Their brows scrunch up and they ask, "Trains? What kind of trains?"

"Usually, Class 1 freight trains," I respond.

The confusion still registers in their faces. "People read about trains? What can you possibly write about on trains?" they ask.

So, I tell them and then pretty soon, they excuse themselves to the bar, bathroom or kitchen. Talking about trains is NOT the way to make new friends. But, it does clear a room quickly!

But, back to I've got to find my groove here. So, I've decided to get assertive in meeting new folks and hopefully folks under the age of 60 (we live in a big retirement town). I'm going to take an art lesson. And volunteer (don't know where yet). And, I thought of even doing some mini profiles on some of the quirky people around here for this blog.  So, hopefully by Christmas, I will have a new friend or two. And I'm really praying that my kids will make cool new friends at school.

Last night, my husband told me I'm his best friend. And he's mine. So, I guess I have only one or two more people to find as friends to meet my quota.

Wondering where to start on my friendship quest.

The Wondering Texan











No comments:

Post a Comment