Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Burning With Fall Expectations

It's hot and dry here along the coast which makes the fall season seem like a mirage. I hope it's somewhere out there, but don't think I'll see it anytime soon.

My neighbors just got back from Lake Michigan and told me they actually had to layer on clothes. This has put me in a melancholy mood. I mean, last weekend my daughter went to a beach party and they couldn't play volleyball because the sand was too hot.

Even the hummingbird migration seems to have stalled in the heat. A few have been flitting around the feeders and, in my optimism, I bought a 5 lb. bag of sugar in preparation for the feeding frenzy. The sugar is still in my pantry collecting more dust than hummers. The local HummerBird Celebration is this weekend with special speakers, bird banding and other special activities. Hopefully, it will be full of hummers, not bummers.
One of the hummers from last year's banding activity.

Although there's not a flock of hummers, certain other animals have made their presence known. Moles have made our yard look like a field of land mines. Traps have been set, yet remain waiting. So far, the traps have netted none. Our dogs, one. Yes, one of my dogs caught a mole and brought it to the back door as a sacrificial offering. I've never seen a mole up close. In a way it was kind of cute with its long, pink nose. But, not cute enough to receive a pardon.

The heat has taken a bite out of fishing.
Then there are the roaches. The nasty, flying, size of a city bus, roaches. With 22 Live Oaks in our backyard and the drought, they have set up camp around our home. I called an exterminator and bought a can of Raid. It's all-out war. I don't know why I think I may win this war considering they have been around since the dinosaurs.

Yesterday I pulled out some of my fall decorations and bought a few chrysanthemums. But of course, I can't plant those in the front yard due to the deer. Our other rodent. As I planted the flowers, a stream of sweat rolled down my back. That kind of takes the fun out of decorating.

So, I'm hoping cooler weather (I'm not even going to wish for a cold front) arrives soon. It's supposed to be in the mid-90s today. Better than the low-100s. But still not hot toddy weather.

Oh, the weatherman just said we may get some "isolated showers." Wondering if he's just teasing us? He's such a joker!

The Wondering Texan


No comments:

Post a Comment