Wednesday, December 14, 2011

One Pelican in a Palm Tree

Swans in bathing suits.
Yesterday, the Chamber of Commerce had its annual Christmas party. And this being a beach town, it wouldn't be Christmas without a pelican in a palm tree.

Various Chamber members formed a "tree" on stage representing industries in town and sang "The 12 Days of Christmas" with a few modifications. The Friends of the Pool, a grass roots effort made up of some of my water aerobic students who work to keep the community pool open year-round, were swans. We put on wings, bathing suit cover ups, feathers and painted our faces. Unfortunately, we weren't as graceful as swans. I almost tripped down a riser.

Yes, they're always this crazy.
But, here are the 12 Days of Christmas from this beach town.

On the first day of Christmas, my true love gave to me: One pelican in a palm tree
On the second day of Christmas, my true love gave to me: 2 pink flamingos
On the third day of Christmas, my true love gave to me: 3 aquatic neighbors (maritime museum, aquarium)
On the fourth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me: 4 calls to beauty (beauty salons)
On the fifth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me: 5 golden stars
On the sixth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me: 6 guests a snoozing (hotels)
On the seventh day of Christmas, my true love gave to me: 7 swans a swimming (Friends of the Pool)
On the eighth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me: 8 shopaholics
On the ninth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me: 9 bay queens singing (non-profit zany group)
On the 10th day of Christmas, my true love gave to me: 10 men a leading (the mayors, police chief, etc.)
On the 11th day of Christmas, my true love gave to me: 11 tasty morsels (restaurants)
On the 12th day of Christmas, my true love gave to me: 12 music majors (the middle school drum section)
The Bay Queens in their finest.

One of my favorite parts was listening to the middle school band.  And meeting some of the Bay Queens. They look almost look like drag queens. At least I don't think there are drag queens. I introduced myself to one of them and she said, "I know who you are. I'm your neighbor next to Keith." Then I asked them what their names are. Each one said, "Bobbie Pearl." I asked, "Is that with a 'y' or 'ie?" They thought that was pretty funny.

Retailer "For the Birds" appropriately decorated their table.
Anyway, it was fun to go to a Christmas party that didn't take itself too seriously. How could it with the Bay Queens and a pelican in a palm tree?

Wondering if the Bay Queen hire out for parties?

The Wondering Texan












No comments:

Post a Comment