Thursday, January 19, 2012

Lazy Dogs Welcomed

Pepper lounging on our daughter's bed.
We currently have two hunting dogs. Pepper is a German Short-Haired Pointer and Sophie is a French Brittany Spaniel. As my uncle says, the dogs are a cross between a chow hound and a sack hound.

From year one of my husband's and my marriage, we've had a hunting dog. And out of our 16 years of marriage, the only things our dogs have been able to track down is their next meal. Preferably covered with bacon grease.

Sophie favorite spot is on our bed.
It's not like we  haven't tried to groom them into real hunting dogs. We've bought pure breeds, sent them off to boarding schools, kenneled them and taken them out hunting. In return we've gotten foot warmers. And to add insult to injury, the backyard squirrels mock our dogs. The squirrels jump from limb to limb scolding our dogs and dropping acorns on them.

But not all is lost. They are great walking partners and vacuum cleaners. A Hoover should have such intake capacity.

Nap #3 in progress.
As I type, they are currently having their early morning nap. Yesterday I calculated they each have about five naps a day before bedtime. Then each retires to one of the kids` beds. The kids alternate dogs each night.

Recently my husband told me that one day, some day within the next two decades. I had to laugh. By now he should know that in our household, he would have better luck winning the state lottery. But he wants to keep the dream alive.

For a change of pace, Sophie moved to the living room.
Wondering if we bought one from the SPCA it would at least stand up to the squirrels.

The Wondering Texan

Quotable Quote:
Our son is studying the Bible for his religion badge in Cub Scouts. My husband took him to a recent meeting where the teacher asked the boys, "Who can tell me why people go to church?" Our son responded, "For funerals."  OK, that's also an area we've got to get better at.










No comments:

Post a Comment