Thursday, January 12, 2012

Learning Bridge Ain't Easy

Since moving down here to the coast, everyone has told me there are three things I need to learn:
1) Play golf
2) Play bridge
3) Make really good margaritas and/or mojitos

Since I have little interest in golf and my husband is our family's resident bartender, that left bridge. I figured it can't be that hard. I underestimated the game and etiquette.

Lessons at the Women's Club started out OK, but then it became quite apparent to me there are some generational differences. The main differences are:
1) My generation still has children at home
2) My generation never turns off cell phones
3) My generation adheres to the 15 minute rule. Start times are guidelines. If you arrive within 15 minutes, you're good.

Needless to say, they find me tiresome. Jean, who is in her early 70s and has been playing for 50 years, is my teacher. I really think there have been times she's nearly thumped me on my head. One time I said, "I have to go to meet my son home from school."  She replied, "You know, once you start playing with others, that's going to be a problem." I looked at her and said, "Well, by the time I get as good as you and your friends, my family will be grown and out of the house." Seriously, by the time I'm as good as Jean, I'll be 97. My great grandchildren will probably be driving me to the game and reading the cards for me. And I'll probably be wearing slippers and a knit cap at all times.

I've told them the truth about me. I've never played cards before. Sure, there have been brief attempts at Texas Hold 'Em. I've played Bunco. And Gold Fish. But nothing like bridge. So, my questions are not meant to be amusing. Questions such as, "What's a trump?" "What's a duplicate?" "What are high card points?" routinely are met with looks of "Oh Lord, give us patience." I think some of them consider me a final test before stepping up to the pearly gates.

The other night I said, "I have to go after this game to make sure my kids get showers and get in bed." Phil, another student, said, "Oh God, I'm glad those days are behind me."  Actually, that's a comment I've heard quite a few times. Usually I laugh and respond, "My generation feels the same way about young people with newborns."

But, as time goes on I think I'm growing on them. At the last lesson, Jean said, "OK, on Monday be here by 11:30 and it's a state lunch." To which I had to ask, "What's a state lunch?" The answer is you bring a dish popular to you're native state. I can do this! "Great, I'll bring chicken enchiladas," I responded. Needless to say, they can't wait to see me on Monday.

Wondering if I should arrive by 11:15 a.m. Monday to be on the safe side?

The Wondering Texan








No comments:

Post a Comment