Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Stilettos and Burritos - Do they mix?

Yesterday I planned to have lunch out with my survivor friend Laura and our mutual friend Amy. However, Laura called saying she was going into the doctor because her skin has broken out in little bumps in reaction to her new chemo drug Taxol.

"Well, maybe not. Maybe you have adult onset acne," I laughed. It happened to me years ago and the doctor prescribed Differin for my acne. However, he said the insurance company probably won't cover it since they will think I'm using it for wrinkles. "You mean to tell me, I'm still young enough for acne, but the insurance company thinks I'm too old?" Ouch.

So, I picked up Amy since she just recently tripped over her flip flops and broke her elbow. Apparently, doctors don't set in a cast an elbow, but she has to have it in a sling. As we were lunching over our Mexican fare, two younger women (in their 30s) clickity clack their way past us. They were all decked out in tight form-fitting dresses with shiny bling and showing lots of exfoliated skin. We couldn't help but notice them. They wanted to be noticed.

It was like Lucy and Ethel meet Tyra and Heidi Klum. Or better yet, the cougars and the lambs.

Amy's and my conversation went along these lines...

"Look at them," I said. "Who goes to lunch with a girlfriend dressed like that?"


"They do," she said. "I know the brunette. She's got a daughter our girls ages and she was a room mom last year."

"She was a room mom?" I said. "She doesn't look like any room mom I've known. And the blond is wearing stilettos. Who wears stilettos at noon?"

"They do. They are in a little clique at school. One of their friends is married to a football player."

"They look high-maintenance. I just don't have the energy anymore for dressing up. But, I've never been really a dress-up girl."

Amy and I looked at each other and wondered, is this a sign of growing comfortable with ourselves or just giving up? Not that we looked like bag ladies. I had my skinny jeans on, white linen top and a lacy tank underneath. And Amy wore leggings and an orange top with the offending flip flops.  But, we definitely weren't screaming "do you think I'm sexy?" Or maybe the younger ladies have more of a fear of aging.

Just wondering if Ms. Stiletto has ever tripped in her heels while walking into Kroger for a gallon of milk?

The Wondering Texan

No comments:

Post a Comment