Monday, April 18, 2011

Through a Dog's Eyes

This morning was gorgeous, so I took our dog Pepper, a mix between a chow hound and sack hound, for a walk through a wooded walking trail.

During my walk today I really tried to focus on the sounds and sights along the trail and to enjoy the weather before it turns a balmy 105F. Except for when Pepper decided to haul a%* after a squirrel causing me to run into a tree, it was all very pleasurable. But, maybe a little bark is good for the system.

One of the things my oncologist said was to try to remain physically active if possible. In fact, she said, "if you can't function as you normally do during chemo, you need to tell me. In this day and age, there's no reason for not functioning. All that you see on TV is Hollywood."

She also said a great benefit is not having to work around any other conditions (high blood pressure, diabetes, obesity) during treatment. As my nurse said, "you're in excellent health, except for this pesky cancer."

So, I made up my mind to start yoga and take daily walks as a stress relief and to add years. I have enjoyed yoga so much that I have talked to my oncologist and yoga studio about becoming certified and to focus on cancer survivors. Now that's on the back burner due to our upcoming move, but I fully intend to do that in Corpus.

For those of you who were stuck in an office today or couldn't get out, I hope you enjoy the following pictures of the walk as seen through Pepper's and my eyes. Afterward, I made myself a big bowl of ice cream and Pepper jumped on our bed for a mid-morning nap. Did I mention that Pepper is a sack hound?

As my walks get longer and longer, and hopefully some day I'll be able to do the Susan B. Komen 3-Day walk, I wonder how often walkers are suppose to buy new shoes. Guess I'll have to Google that.

The Wondering Texan


Longhorns grazing


Fountain outside fire station

Purple wildflowers




Crossing the bridge

No comments:

Post a Comment